Saturday, September 17, 2011

More 9/11 Memories

The following memories and comments are posted just as they were given. This is a blog about genealogy and how we preserve our heritage and we hope everyone will remember that when adding their own messages. We thank all those who contributed to our remembrance and of the attack made upon this great country 10 yrs ago.



That day, I was at school (the beginning of my last year teaching before retirement. My planning period had just begun and I was headed down the hall to the office to check my mail box. As I passed by the first couple of classrooms, I noticed the televisions were on and the students and teachers were watching them intently. When I reached the library, there were several teachers there, also watching the TV, so I stepped in to see what they were all watching. Just then, the second plane hit the World Trade Center... a moment I will never forget.
The impact of this event will live in American memory forever, just as the assassination of President Kennedy has. I was also at school, in mixed chorus, that day when the vice principal came over the school intercom and announced he had been shot in Dallas and he dismissed school for the rest of the day. We had no TV at school in those days, so they wanted us to be aware of what was going on.

Doug McCarter 
Computer Guardian Angels

Every generation has one.  A date that will "forever live in infamy".  That phrase may have originated by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, but it could be said for so many days.  Whether it's the Twin Towers, the Challenger explosion, the Moon Landing, assassination of President Kennedy, or the attack on Pearl Harbor, we remember important events in our lives.  I am sure that even dates back to the days of ancient Rome when the citizens were talking about what they were doing when they saw Mount Vesuvius erupt from afar.  And that's the important part.  We must remember.