Friday, September 9, 2011

Importance of Consistency

I know that I'm not alone having several email addresses.  I also know how many times I have sent out emails only to have them returned "undeliverable," because the person that I am trying to reach has moved or changed internet providers or multiple other factors that make the ONLY email address I have for the defunct.

I have a suggestion.  Create a Google Mail account and use that email address for everything genealogy related.  Use it for all websites you "follow", use it for your login on websites, and especially use it for mail lists.  Why Gmail?  Frankly, I just like Google.  The iGoogle homepage makes it easy to not only check your email but several other websites most recent posts, plus it separates your many genealogy contacts from your normal email address, thus preventing a message from getting lost in the shuffle of spam and junk.

To find an email address you have lost or misplaced try going to http://my.email.address.is/ehowto.htm. Also, if you haven't tried yet, search for your last name using search engines or at  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~websites/
  It is amazing what you can search for on the world wide web!