Monday, September 12, 2011

Authors 9/11 Memories

The following memories and comments are posted just as they were given. This is a blog about genealogy and how we preserve our heritage and we hope everyone will remember that when adding their own messages. We thank all those who contributed to our remembrance and of the attack made upon this great country 10 yrs ago.


The Service of Others 

Marvin and I were at my father's home in Mitchell, Oregon when the twin towers fell. It was so unbelievable. Mind numbing. We felt like we should hurry home to Idaho and finish packing for our move to Missouri but we knew it might be years before we saw Dad again.

On our way (9/12) we picked up 3 young men on their way to New York City to help with the rescue operations. Sadly I didn't ask, so I don't know their names, but they were determined to help the rescue operation in New York City, even though they were without money, food or extra clothing. We fed them and took them on to Ontario, Oregon where they planned to catch rides straight East. I wish I knew if they had made it and what their experiences were, but our prayers went with those young men, who we knew would return home Men and for our country which was being attacked by evil men.

Cristina Besendorfer
Service seemed to be the rule of the day.  If you had the means to help, you did.  If you could help in the rescue effort, you did.  Donations of food, money, and blood flowed.  People felt the need to respond by doing instead of watching. Americans showed their love and faith that day and their determination not to allow such a thing to happen again.



I had just gotten married three days earlier and was on my honeymoon.  I woke up early and turned on the TV.  I saw the reaction to the first plane hitting the World Trade Center on the Today Show.  While I was trying to wake up my new husband, suddenly the second tower was hit.  It became suddenly obvious that it was an act of terrorism.  We watched in amazement as the news of the Pentagon came in followed by the news that a fourth hijacked plane was still in the air.

The sadness soon became too much for me.  I left to take a shower.  Mark soon yelled to come quick, one of the towers had just fallen.  I got there just as the second tower collapsed into a heap of burning rubble.  We knew then how truly awful it was going to be.  The chance for finding survivors was close to none.  After awhile, we felt the need to escape, to feel almost normal if just for a little while.  We went to Silver Dollar City, but the atmosphere was one of shock and sadness.  It took weeks to feel normal again.

Gayla Mendenhall