Friday, December 13, 2013

Will History Repeat Itself?

The stock market crash of October 1929 was the start of the Great Depression. Investors had borrowed too much money and gambled with stocks bought with only 10% down. When the stock prices began to fail there was no money to pay for the other 90% they owed.

People rushed to their banks and took out as much of their savings as they could, which collapsed the banking system. The few businesses that could still afford to pay their employees paid for work days that were 10-12 hrs long with one 30 min lunch & and even those were starvation wages of 45 cents per hour according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Farmers hoped to afford to butcher a pig to add to the rows of garden produce, but more often than not the pig was sold to pay the rent!

These poetic words are from our Great Grandfather Hughes:

A DRY-WOOD Farmer's Blues

I’m just as sore as I can be,
And think I’ll quit the farm by-gee,
For twelve long months, I’ve worked like –well
I haven’t raised a thing to sell.


I’ve plowed amongst these Dry Wood rocks,
And wore out twenty pairs of sox,
And now I’m feedless, sockless too,
And don’t know what the heck I’ll do.


Our hogs wont pay for what they eat,
And cows are selling mighty cheap,
And all our hens that lay at all,
Are those that starved to death last fall.


I haven’t made a bloomin’ cent,
With which to pay my pasture rent,
And taxes are as high by-Joe,
As what they were a year ago.


The butterfat we used to sell,
Kept up our table fairly well,
But now we’re eating ‘margarine’,
Just let ole Bossy keep her cream.


A fellow cant afford to die,
‘the homes are free beyond the sky,
But what it costs to get one there,
Would bust a multi-millionaire.


So whats a fellow goin’ to do?
Just sit around the house and stew,
Or buckle in and do his best,
And take a chance with all the rest.


I guess I’ll take another chance,
While “Hoover’s” wearing out his pants,
The world may howl around my door,
But “Hooverism” makes me sore.


 ---By Dry Wood Dreamer.